What is an API?
API stands for Application Programming Interface. It is a unique software which allows two application to talk to each other without any user intervention.There is difference between API and Web Service.
It provides service communication with other services or product communication to others without having to know how they are implemented.
What is a Web Service?
A Web service is a group of open protocols that are vastly used for exchanging data between applications or systems. A lot of software applications are written using different programming languages and running on various platforms.
It allows you to communicate with other programs instead of directly with users and use web services to exchange data over computer networks.
Features of Web API
Here are some essential features of API:
- Wider reach
- Easy integration with GUI
- Data ownership
- Time effective
Features of Web Services
Some essential features of web services are given below:
- Loosely coupled
- The functionality of synchronous & asynchronous
- Enable to Support remote procedure calls
- Exchange Supports document
Difference between API and Web Service
Main importance differences between Web services and API are given below:
|It supports XML.
|Responses are formatted using Web API’s Media Type Formatter into JSON, XML, or any other given format.
|All web services are APIs.
|All APIs are not web services.
|Web service does not have light-weight architecture. Because people require a SOAP protocol to send or receive & data over the network.
API has a light-weight architecture
It provides supports only for the HTTP protocol
|API provides support for HTTP/s protocol: Response Headers/request etc.
|It uses three styles for communication: SOAP, REST, and XML-RPC.
|API can use any style for communication.
|It can be used by a client who understands the term XML.
|It can be used by a client who understands XML or JSON.
Advantages of API Services
Some important benefits of using API:
- As it works with HTTP verbs GET, PUT, POST, and DELETE so, API supports traditional CRUD (Create Read Update Delete) actions
- Help you Expose service data into your browser
- It is based on HTTP, which can easily to understand and explain and expose in a REST-full way.
Advantages of Web Services
Some important benefits of using web services:
- Across and within the organization do faster communications
- Interoperability has the highest priority.
- Each service exists independently of other services.
- Your application assists you to publish its function to the rest of the world or message by using web service.
- It helps you solve interoperability problems by giving various applications a way to link their data.
- Web service allow different applications to communicate, exchange data & shared services among themselves.
- It helps you to exchange data between different platforms & different applications
- As a web page request and help you to receive data, it is specifically designed to be used.
- Web service components in other services serve as building blocks which makes it easy to reuse.
- It provides HTTP, WSDL, and driving services.
Disadvantages of API
Some important drawbacks of using API services:
- A fixed scale is necessary
- Creating API is a time-consuming process
- Imprecise boundary delineation
- It can crash when testing API
- Programming knowledge is necessary to create API
- Maintenance cost is very high
Disadvantages of Web Services
Some important Drawbacks of using Web services:
- It does not access from any browser
- Not leverage emerging Web developments
- There is a demand for specialized machine requirements at any time one creates a service to handle a wide variety of customers.
- Some web services are easy to use but some are flaws of using them.
- It does not offer any guarantee of delivery of the response due to HTTP protocol is not reliable.